Viability of plasmids at 4 degrees

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Thu Dec 14 20:33:43 EST 1995

J. David,

After storage of cut DNA at 4 degrees C, it's very likely that your DNA
has been chewed up.  If you get nothing at all or a shmear when you run
your transcriptions on a denaturing gel, then this is the likely
explanation.  On the other hand, nucleic acids tend to adsorb to the
sides of tubes thus decreasing their effective concentration in
solution.  If your reactions are still giving the same (hopefully clean
and tight) product, it's likely that this is the case.

Of course, if you're not using fresh reagents, then it could be anything.

Hope this helps.

Ken Howe
"the onions expressed here are my own"