PVP in RNA extractions

Student student at lab.semo.edu
Thu Dec 14 18:43:17 EST 1995

I have used an RNA extraction protocol which uses PVP and Ascorbic acid to inhibit the action of Phenolics (tanins in this case) in plant tissues.
We have had some friendly reviews of a manuscript; suggestions include us needing to explain what PVP and Ascorbic acid are actually doing in the
extract.  We know without them we don't get good quality RNA (as judged by cDNA synthesis for PCR and library construction).  Can anyone tell me how
exactly PVP and Ascorbic acid are taking care of the Phenolics for me.  Any help, comments, etc. appreciated.  THANK YOU!

Dr. David Starrett
c309scb at semovm.semo.edu