Minimal length of primer for DNA polymerase

C.L.L. ChunLin_Lu at cellbio.duke.edu
Fri Dec 15 13:05:05 EST 1995

 I want to amplify DNA using primers as short as posibly. Does anybody
know what is minimal length of primer for DNA polymerase? I wonder if a
restriction enzyme cleavge site seuqence could be chosen as a primer
assuming no interanl site. it is known that dimer can be formed under
certein PCR conditions if one or two base(s) of two primers matching at
3'-end. Does it mean Thermal DNA polymerase can use shorter primers
compared to normal DNA polymerase? Any suggestions are wellcome. Thanks.
Chunlin Lu