media for yogurt organisms

THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU THORN at LAN.TJHSST.EDU
Fri Dec 15 13:14:21 EST 1995

Re: medium for culturing yoghurt bacteria.  Many years ago we used, quite
successfully, Elliker's medium (Difco 0974-01-1)
This recipe is from the 10th edition.
Components of Bacto Elliker Broth: (per liter)
20 g Bacto tryptone
5 g Bacto yeast extract
2.5 g Bacto gelatin
5 g Bacto dextrose
5 g Bacto lactose
5 g Bacto saccharose (sucrose, our Difco manual is ANCIENT!)
4 g NaCl
1.5 g Na Acetate
0.5 g ascorbic acid

Final pH 6.8 +- 0.2 at 25 C

If you can purchase from a supplier, resuspend 48.1 g in 1 liter of water
Heat to boilding to dissolve completely
Dispense
Sterilize by autoclaving 15 min at 15 lb pressure (121C)
You can store at room temperature after sterilization.

We incubated in partially anaerobic conditions by putting plates into a
large culture dish, lighting a candle in a beaker and taping a second
dish on top.  After less than a minute, the candle burns out and we then
put the device into a 42C incubator.  However, the Difco manual indicated
that the lacto and strep bacteria grow well at 35C
Regards,
Toby Mogollon Horn, Ph.D.			*THE DNAHAND*
Life Science and Biotechnology Laboratory			<thorn at lan.tjhsst.edu>
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
6560 Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22312	phone 703-750-5024		fax 703-750-5010