Rf: Help! phast system and western

LOGAND logand at msdos.ensam.inra.fr
Fri Dec 15 06:45:28 EST 1995

Tanya Shang wrote:

>has anybody done western blotting with those Pharmacia Phast protein
>electrophoresis gels?  The phast system separates proteins very well, but
>the gels used on it have a plastic plate attached, can they still be
>blotted with the conventional capillary method?  I know that Pharmacia
>sells a separate kit for western with Phast systems, but I am only doing
>a few experiments so I don't want to buy it.  If anybody knows of a
>method to blot Phast gels without the kit and is willing to share the
>information, i would be very grateful.

All you have to do is remove them from the backing support. You can use the LKB
(Pharmacia) Filmremover - essentially just a curved surface with a cheese wire
attachment which slides between the acryl and the plastic backing - you could
cobble together a similar apparatus using a piece of fuse wire. Once you have
the separated acry gel blot as normal (though for less time since gel very
thin).

David C. Logan
Montpellier