Whoops, EthBr all over the shop...

Robert Horton horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:36:41 EST 1995

Vijay Sarthy (vjsarthy at merle.acns.nwu.edu.) wrote:
: In article <jpcd0-1312952018050001 at macr1-3.welc.cam.ac.uk>,
: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (John Dixon) wrote:

: > Has anyone out there got any suggestions of how to remove large amounts
: > (50mls or so!)

: Contact you institution's hazardous materials office immediately! Then
: tease your lab mate briefly and get him some pants. Finally, transfer your
: EtBr to 1 ml aloquots (or less) for general lab use. Questions regarding
: your Levis (which I hear are quite pricey over there) might be directed to
: a laundry.

Alcohol should help get it off the floor. Turn out the room lights and
use a UV lamp to see the spilled ethidium better. As I understand it,
however, alcohol is NOT recommended for removing EtBr from skin, on the
theory that it may just carry the stuff deeper.  I would be interested
to know what your HazMat folks tell you.

I think I'd toss the pants.

Robert M. Horton (PhD!)         *CAUTION: .sig under construction*
U of M Dermatology Dept.
Box 98 UMHC, 4-154 PWB           (612)625-8941   http://134.84.47.3
Minneapolis, MN 55455       horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"