thermocycler Techne GeneE

Mr V. Schoenfeld DOM vs10005 at crc.ac.uk
Sat Dec 16 05:50:02 EST 1995

In article <4armfo$qv at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "Hinrich Schulenburg" <HINRICH at bombina.biologie.uni-bielefeld.de> writes:
> We intend to acquire the thermocycler "GeneE" from Techne
> (a low cost PCR machine). Therefore, I would be very interested in
> any information about the reliability of that machine !!
>
> E.g.: What's the average lifetime of that machine if it is used
> regularly (e.g. five times a week, the whole year through
> !) ? Is it possible to use it for DNA-Cycle-sequencing using 6  l
> reactions (GeneE is a thermocycler for 0.2ml Eppis, and with a hot
> lid. Consequently, I intend to perform such sequencing reactions in
> 0.2ml tubes without mineral oil) ?
>
> I would be very grateful for any information about that machine or
> similar cyclers (e.g. the Techne thermocycler "GeneH-D" or "GeneF").
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Hinrich

We've had six GeneE's for about 14 months (I think it's 14 months, we bought them
first week they were out basically) and none of them has broken down. They were re-calibrated
after one year and, although they was some variation, they were still pretty much
accurate.

We use the heated lid versions for ABI sequencing, both with tubes and ninety-six
well plates.

I strongly recommend them, they are EXTREMELY fast. Good even temperature
distribution accross the 96 well -plate too.

Don't know anything about the other GeneH and F machines.

Cheers

Vince

Vincent Schoenfeld
Graduate Student
University Department of Medicine
Addenbrooke's Hospital
Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK

vs10005 at med.cam.ac.uk          | Phone: (0223)402436/336853
                               | Fax:   (0223)21136

'If we knew what we were doing, it would not be called research'