Minimal length of primer for DNA polymerase

Edward Wang ez022056 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 15 20:12:48 EST 1995

C.L.L. (ChunLin_Lu at cellbio.duke.edu) wrote:
:  I want to amplify DNA using primers as short as posibly. Does anybody
: know what is minimal length of primer for DNA polymerase? I wonder if a
: restriction enzyme cleavge site seuqence could be chosen as a primer
: assuming no interanl site. it is known that dimer can be formed under
: certein PCR conditions if one or two base(s) of two primers matching at
: 3'-end. Does it mean Thermal DNA polymerase can use shorter primers
: compared to normal DNA polymerase? Any suggestions are wellcome. Thanks.
: Chunlin Lu
I don't know what the shortest size could be...but I am pretty sure a
restriction sequence couldn't be used.  first, the sequence would most
likely be 4 to 6 bases, which would require very low annealing
temperature.  Second...at that short a sequence, I would not be
surprised if you get some non specific binding, even if you did get it
to anneal.
 --
Edward H. Wang                 *