Azide & lacZ (Clarification)

Louis Hom lhom at nature.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Dec 17 13:44:22 EST 1995

I would like to know if sodium azide will interfere with lacZ's reaction
with xgal -- just the reaction itself.  We use a lacZ reporter in a viral
construct and I'm developing for lacZ in lightly fixed insect tissues.  I
am wondering if I can store tissues in azide to avoid bacterial growth
without affecting the signal I'm trying to detect.