Phage Display for DNA binding proteins?

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Sat Dec 16 10:39:37 EST 1995

In article <DJn3IG.Awz at ncifcrf.gov> pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:
>I'm considering using a phage display system and I was wondering if anyone has
>used such a library to pan out specific DNA binding proteins or peptides by
>using an immobilized DNA? I've seen that the peptide length is limited in most
>cases, so I wonder if this is possible?  Any and all references would help me
>make a decision. Thanks!

Paul:
There are a few papers in PNAS and Science(?) in which a Zinc Finger
protein was modified and tested for new DNA binding specificities using
phage display.  The M13 gene 3 fusions can accomadate as much as 50 kDa
of fusion protein, I believe.  There are limits on the major coat protein
gene 8 product (about 10 - 12 aa).  The authors were able to make a Zn
finger protein with high affinity for an enhancer sequence in an oncogene
promoter such that expression of the protein squelched out the
transcription activating enhancer binding protein, leading to reversion
to a non-transformed phenotype.

I wish I had thought of that!

Daniel Kim
(I'll try to find the exact citations, but the papers were late 1994 or
early 1995 (Jan or Feb)