RNA specific flourigen?

Daniel Jacobs b.neilan at unsw.edu.au
Sun Dec 17 22:49:48 EST 1995

In article <v01520d02acf5f88e8c01@[128.206.15.242]>,
carson at BIOSCI.MBP.MISSOURI.EDU (Chris Carson) wrote:

> What is the best fluorigen for fluorimetric RNA quantification, other than
> acridine orange? Is there a completely RNA specific stain for fluorometric
> quantitation?
>
> Thanks, CC

> Christian B. Carson, PhD    |    LAB:   314-882-4871
> Biological Sciences         |    FAX:   314-882-0123
> University of Missouri      |    email: carson at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu
> 117 Tucker Hall             |
> Columbia, MO 65211          |

As far as I have seen the answer is no, there always seems to be cross
binding of the "RNA" dyes to DNA. If what you are measuring is critical I
suggest DNasing the sample and then adding the dye. Hope this helps.

Daniel Jacobs
School of Microbiology
University of New South Wales
Sydney
AUSTRALIA

--
Daniel Jacobs
School of Microbiology & Immunology

'I'm sorry but I don't have a pithy quote'