Azide & lacZ

"Marianne Leverone ", BIO leverone at CHUMA.CAS.USF.EDU
Mon Dec 18 09:39:12 EST 1995

Sodium azide inhibits cytochrome c oxidase (electron transport chain).
If you stick sodium azide in your medium, E. coli is not going to be able
to use electron transport to generate ATP.  I think the cells will still
grow anaerobically (using fermentation to regenerate NAD).  Growth will
be much less efficient (theoretically generating only 2 ATP vs. 38 ATP
per glucose molecule) so you won't see as many cells on the agar.  Maybe
this is why you see no blue color, not enough cells?  or maybe the cells
can't grow in the presence of oxygen--stick them in an anaerobic jar.