molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE

Michael G. Filip mgfilip at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 19 11:25:55 EST 1995

In <4b6nq4$a0p at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu (Annette C.
Hollmann) writes:

>Are there any decent prestained molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE
>available? Right now I am using markers from Sigma, and the bands are
>always 1/4 inch wide and very faint. My samples run ok, so the problem
>is definitely the markers and not the gel. I have to use prestained
>markers because I'm using the gels for Western blots. If I were
staining
>the gels I'd just use a mix of purified proteins for a "homemade"
>set of markers. I need the size range of 20 to 90 kDa, which should
>be fairly common. I know I could just leaf through some catalogs
>and order a few batches of markers to test, but I don't want to
>risk wasting money on markers that are just as low quality  as the
>Sigma stuff.
>
>Thanks
>Annette
>ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu

    The best and highest quality, if costs are not a concern are
    available from Amersham. They are called Rainbow Markers and come
    in low and higher MW ranges. Whats nice is that you can see the
    different colors migrating down the gel and stop it exactly where
    you wish giving excellent reproducibility.

    good luck,
        Mike