molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Dec 19 11:04:20 EST 1995

Are there any decent prestained molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE
available? Right now I am using markers from Sigma, and the bands are
always 1/4 inch wide and very faint. My samples run ok, so the problem
is definitely the markers and not the gel. I have to use prestained
markers because I'm using the gels for Western blots. If I were staining
the gels I'd just use a mix of purified proteins for a "homemade"
set of markers. I need the size range of 20 to 90 kDa, which should
be fairly common. I know I could just leaf through some catalogs
and order a few batches of markers to test, but I don't want to
risk wasting money on markers that are just as low quality  as the
Sigma stuff.

Thanks
Annette
ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu