Phage Display for DNA binding proteins?

Soeren Jensby Nielsen sjn at biobase.dk
Tue Dec 19 08:50:03 EST 1995

Dear Paul

A few papers corcerning mutagenesis of already cloned Zinc-finger
 proteins in order to bind to new sequences has been published
(one by Aaron Klug in Science I think), but what you really want is
 to stick a cDNA library onto a phage. The problem is that the gene III on-
ly allows cloning in the N-terminus, and then you run into the problem
 of stop codons derived from your cDNA unless you will settle for a
 library without full-length clones.
 cheers,
 Soeren

Paul N Hengen (pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov) wrote:
: I'm considering using a phage display system and I was wondering if anyone has
: used such a library to pan out specific DNA binding proteins or peptides by
: using an immobilized DNA? I've seen that the peptide length is limited in most
: cases, so I wonder if this is possible?  Any and all references would help me
: make a decision. Thanks!

: * National Cancer Institute                       |Internet: pnh at ncifcrf.gov |*
: * Laboratory of Mathematical Biology              |   Phone: (301) 846-5581  |*
: * Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center|     FAX: (301) 846-5598  |*
: * Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA              /--------------------------/*
: * - - - - - Methods FAQ list -> http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~pnh/ - - - - - - *
: * - - -  Anonymous FTP from ftp.ncifcrf.gov as file pub/methods/FAQlist - - - *