Software to read SDS-PAGE

Sigurdur E. Vilhelmsson vilhels at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Wed Dec 20 00:20:24 EST 1995

Ron Tate <rtate at bmb-fs1.biochem.okstate.edu> wrote:
>dtyyu at ucla.edu (David Tak Yan Yu) wrote:
>>Is there a free software to calculate MW of proteins in SDS-PAGE?
>>Best wishes,
>>David yu
>>dtyyu at ucla.edu
>
>David,
>We downloaded a program from NCSA called GelReader which looks really nice to use.  It has the
>capabilities to determine mobility, density and calculate MW.  But I never could get it to do
>the MW for me, everything else worked real well.  It may have to do with the computer we
>installed it on, we've had a few glitches with it in the past.  I even contacted NCSA
>technical support and they were great but we still couldn't get it to do MW.  Again, its
>really easy to use and looks like a pretty good one.  If you download it I would like to hear
>how it worked for you.  If you can get it to work I'll spend some more time on it.
> Happy Hunting
>Ron Tate
>OSU, BMB
>rtate at bmb-fs1.biochem.okstate.edu

I downloaded and tried NCSA GelReader.  I had some initial problems, but after e-mailing the author I got it to work.  The problems I had in calculating MW were related to the fact that you have to assign a standard to the outermost lanes on both sides of your selection.  Then I ran into some trouble opening saved pictures and reports.  Finally I decided that even though the program looked very promising, it was just to unstable on my mac.

Good luck