phenol/chloroform

Chi-Kuang Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Tue Dec 19 22:18:39 EST 1995

If liquid phenol is equilibrated with Tris buffer and then
mixed with chloroform/isoamylalcohol, the upper phase shopuld
be aqueous phase and the lower phase should be organic phase.
In the aqueous phase, it should contain a certain concentration
of phenol/chloroform/IAA, and the organic phase should contain
a certain concentration of buffer.  Organic chemicals are not
100% insoluble in water, and water and salts are not 100%
INSOLUBLE in organic chemicals.  You may smell
phenol/chloroform/IAA from the upper phase, indicating that
the aqueous phase has organic chemicals in it.

Chi-Kuang Wen