Whoops, EthBr all over the shop...

Bart Janssen bjanssen at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 19 18:12:51 EST 1995

In article <vjsarthy-1312951707060001 at 165.124.232.41>,
vjsarthy at merle.acns.nwu.edu. (Vijay Sarthy) wrote:

> In article <jpcd0-1312952018050001 at macr1-3.welc.cam.ac.uk>,
> jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (John Dixon) wrote:
>
> > Has anyone out there got any suggestions of how to remove large amounts
> > (50mls or so!)
>
> Contact you institution's hazardous materials office immediately! Then
> tease your lab mate briefly and get him some pants. Finally, transfer your
> EtBr to 1 ml aloquots (or less) for general lab use. Questions regarding
> your Levis (which I hear are quite pricey over there) might be directed to
> a laundry.

The laundry is a really bad idea, sending your jeans to the laundry will
end up with your jeans being washed with a whole bunch of other peoples
clothing, resulting in a lower amount of EtBr in your jeans but lots more
EtBr in the clothing washed with your jeans.

Whether or not you believe that EtBr is hazardous to your own person,
making that decision for other people who use the laundry might not be a
good idea.

Personally I'd seal the jeans in a large plastic bag and frame them on the
lab wall as a reminder to all incoming lab members.