electophoresis of total-DNA(cut)

Tue Dec 19 15:35:56 EST 1995

On 19 Dec 1995, Petur Henry Petersen wrote:

> 	I was cutting total-DNA with Hind III and got a smear
> on a 0.8% Agarose gel. Is this the way it should be or is
> one supposed to see any bands?
>
> php at iti.is
> Marine Research Institue of Iceland

Yes, you should see a smear on the gel if you are talking about total
GENOMIC DNA. This is because the RE generates almost all possible sizes
of fragments from the genomic DNA... sometimes, if you look carefully,
you should be able to see a few relatively more intense bands in the
smear. These are probably fragments generated from some moderate
to highly repetitive sequences.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.