very large intron in c. elegans

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Wed Dec 20 18:57:00 EST 1995

Hello,
although kilobase introns in metazoans are common, trypanosomes splice
using trans-splicing, so introns are not necessarily contiguous.  In
other words, your gene of interest may indeed span several tens of
kilobases, separated by non-coding sequence, but this intervening
region is probably not a continuous intron and your exons with
associated intron sequences are probably transcribed separately.  The
exons are then joined in an intermolecular splicing reaction in vivo.

Hope this helps.

Ken Howe
"the onions expressed here are my own"