Antisense strand of DNA

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Wed Dec 20 18:27:46 EST 1995

Mick,
I responded on Dec. 11th with pretty much the same answer you gave and
was "corrected" (sorry, I didn't save the message since it was the only
one I received and I'm pretty sure that my/our response is the correct one):

I wrote:
<<More simply put, the sense strand of a "DNA sequence which is
<<transcribed into RNA" is that strand whose sequence is identical to
<<that of the RNA (with the replacement of T's to U's), and so the antisense
<<strand is that strand whose sequence is complementary to that sequence.
<<The antisense strand is the strand which is read during transcription.
<<
On 14 Dec 1995, Mick Jones wrote:

>This is always a problem for new students to molecular biology.
>DNA is double stranded, and the DNA strand that is identical to the
>transcribed RNA (except for Us for Ts) is called the SENSE strand.  The
>complementary strand, which acts as the template for transcribing the
>RNA is called the ANTISENSE strand.

Thanks for coming to my rescue.

Ken Howe
"the onions expressed here are my own"