PCR fidelity

Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Wed Dec 20 17:37:22 EST 1995

Hi Bob,

	There are a number of other polymerases on the market that have
proof-reading ability and have greater fidelity than Taq, eg pfu.
Admittedly they are a little more expensive but may save time in the
long run.  The fidelity of the Taq enzyme is dependent on a number of
things but I've read that it has errors approximately 1:400.  I have
used Taq myself to sequence and had a better rate , ie , 1:600.  To be
on the safe side I'd probably change enzymes.

Hope this helps

Patrick

*                                                            *
*   Patrick HJ Falckh PhD                        #     #     *
*   Key Centre for Applied                      # # # # #    *
*     & Nutritional Toxicology                   # Q Q #     *
*   RMIT University- City Campus                 #  O  #     *
*   GPO Box 2467V                                 #	~	#      *
*   Melbourne Vic 3001                           # <--> #    *
*     Tel : (03) 9660 3136                     # #      # #  *
*     Fax : (03) 9663 6087                     # #      # #  *
*   email : p.falckh at rmit.edu.au                #   \/   #   *
*   "No matter how tall your grandfather         #  /\  #    *
*      was, you have to do your own growing"    0000  0000   *