molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE

Eddie Diehl diehl001 at mc.duke.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:53:05 EST 1995

In article <4b6nq4$a0p at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu (Annette
C. Hollmann) wrote:

> Are there any decent prestained molecular weight markers for SDS-PAGE
> available? Right now I am using markers from Sigma, and the bands are
> always 1/4 inch wide and very faint. My samples run ok, so the problem
> is definitely the markers and not the gel. I have to use prestained
> markers because I'm using the gels for Western blots. If I were staining
> the gels I'd just use a mix of purified proteins for a "homemade"
> set of markers. I need the size range of 20 to 90 kDa, which should
> be fairly common. I know I could just leaf through some catalogs
> and order a few batches of markers to test, but I don't want to
> risk wasting money on markers that are just as low quality  as the
> Sigma stuff.
>
> Thanks
> Annette
> ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu

Annette:

I always used to run a lane of regular standards next to a prestained
standard lane, then transfer, cut off the regular standards and stain with
an amido black solution. I've always trusted the accuracy of their
molecular weights much more than any manufacturer's prestained ones.

Good luck.

Eddie Diehl
diehl001 at mc.duke.edu