LENGTH OF rRNA

Shirish A. Ranade SAR at nbri.sirnetd.ernet.in
Thu Dec 21 07:10:00 EST 1995

Hello Netters!

I have a query about the discrepancy in length of rRNA as reported
in a couple of places. If however, this question has already been
posted and answered, my apologies for re-submitting the query. In
this case perhaps some one of you may be kind enough to send me the
answers.

The query is as follows :

I have Sigma RNA marker Cat.# R 8510 that consists of E.coli 16S
and 23S rRNAs. The catalogue indicates that the sizes of these RNAs
are 1776 and 3566 bases respectively.

In considerable contrast to this is the information contained in
"Molecular Cell Biology" by Darnell, Lodish and Baltimore, 7th
Edition of 1990. On p.96 (chapter 3), the sizes stated are :

Prokaryotic 23S rRNA 2900 bases
Prokaryotic 16S rRNA 1540 bases

Eukaryotic 28S rRNA 4800 bases
Eukaryotic 18S rRNA 1900 bases

Has anyone else come across such discrepancies? I am told that the
Pharmacia RNA marker of eukaryotic rRNAs (yeast and calf liver)
reportedly have still different values. I dont have these data as
yet.

I wonder how these can be explained. More important, when RNA
markers are used on formaldehyde gels and one wishes to report
lengths of RNAs rather than the Sedimentation values, which are the
more correct values? Is there any reference to the more accurate
values?

Please reply back to my e-mail address too since I am not a
subscriber to this network on account of mail volume restrictions
here.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Shirish RANADE

DR. SHIRISH A. RANADE
SNAIL MAIL : CENTRE FOR PLANT MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
             NATIONAL BOTANICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
             RANA PRATAP MARG, LUCKNOW 226001. (U.P.) INDIA.
FAX NOS. : (91) 522 282881 OR 282849
E-MAIL (PERSONAL) :     SAR at NBRI.SIRNETD.ERNET.IN
E-MAIL (PUBLIC)   : MANAGER at NBRI.SIRNETD.ERNET.IN