35S or 33P?

Peter Fear fearp at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu
Fri Dec 22 14:08:34 EST 1995

    A researcher here showed us a document from Perkin Elmer which states
"There have been reported occurances of alpha-35S label escaping from
various types of reaction tubes and contaminating thermal cycler blocks.
We strongly recommend the use of [alpha-33P]-dNTP for cycle sequencing."

Our question is not if there is any 35S given off but rather what is the
level and if this is really a problem if done in a hood?

Probably any answers should be sent directly to me at fearp at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu

Thanks

Pete

--