Antisense strand of DNA

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Fri Dec 22 14:32:38 EST 1995

Herb, thanks for the information.  I'll have to see if  Lewin used the
term "sense strand" in earlier versions of Genes.  It would be interesting
if different definitions have been used by a single author over the
years.  Maybe it is time to redefine the terms so that they are more
intuitive given the current usage of anti-sense vs sense, but, as I
pointed out to Francisco, anything you call the sense (or anti-sense)
strand is frought with problems.

I think that the logic used originally was that the if you transcribed the
sense strand, it would make sense when you translated that mRNA into
protein.  If you transcribed the opposite strand (the anti-sense strand
since it was anti-parellel and complementary) you would not get an mRNA
that could be translated into a meaningfull protein.

SRLasky

--
Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.   Brown U/Roger Williams Medical Center,  Providence, RI.