current protocols in protein science

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri Dec 22 17:57:40 EST 1995

[problems with the Current Protocols on CD series]

I must say, the marketing people at the very least, and perhaps the
technical people, for this series are among the most clueless I've run
across in a long time.  I tried to get them to send me a CD early in 1995;
after about 6 or 7 phone calls (each time, being told that they'd send it
at once) I finally got a demo version.  We thought it was a worthwhile
product and decided to get it; at this point our secretary took over
(since she has a lot more patience than I do).

After a certain number of wasted phone calls, she started keeping a formal
log of the calls she made.  That log is becoming thicker all the time.
After, I don't know, months of effort, the CD finally arrived.  We'd
ordered both the Molecular Biology and the Immunology versions; we were
not surprised to find that the key code for the immunology book was
missing.  (When the secretary saw me walking down the hall with a grim
smile, she immediately said, "Please don't tell me they screwed up
again.")

Whimpering, she agreed to phone them and ask for the key code.  (I told
her I didn't want to deal with them again.  She didn't either, but as I
say she's more patient than I am.)  Today they sent us the key code for
Immunology.

IT'S STILL WRONG.

If anyone associated with this company is reading this:  You've got a
great product, as far as I can see.  But your marketing people are so
incredibly incompetent you're killing yourselves.  If you expect to get
any repeat business at all, or if you hope to get any positive feedback,
you've got to get in gear.  If your potential customers would rather chew
their fingers off than phone your number, you have a serious problem.

Ian
--
Ian York   (iayork at panix.com)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627