SENSE/ANTISENSE: what's the concensus?

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Fri Dec 22 16:56:07 EST 1995

Stephen,
Your response hurt my feelings. But then I DID CHECK THE TEXTS.

You say:
"The sense strand is the strand that is transcribed into mRNA and
therefore is the anti-parellel complement of the mRNA"

THIS IS NOT WHAT MY TEXTS SAY:

Check out BIOCHEMISTRY, 3rd ed. (1988) L. Stryer, ed. page 705:
"...These designations refer to the coding (sense) strand, not the
template (antisense) strand, of DNA; the coding strand has the same
sequence as the RNA transcript except for T in place of U."

 and

GENES IV, 4th ed. (1990) Ben Lewin, ed. page 113:
"The DNA strand that bears the same sequence as the mRNA (except for
possessing T instead of U) is called the coding strand."

TO SUMMARIZE:

    Coding    = sense     = same sequence as transcribed RNA
    Noncoding = antisense = complementary to transcribed RNA

If you want an argument,I wouldn't take on Lubert Stryer or Ben Lewin
(editor of CELL).

Now, I haven't looked up your references (which, by the way, are ancient)
but if they do say what you claim, then you should consider updating your
lecture notes to the more recently accepted definitions.

I don't teach molecular biology- they don't allow grad students to do
those kinds of things- but I did take biochemistry from Robert Sinsheimer
at UCSB and since he passed me on my oral exams this past June, I guess
he didn't find any serious gaps in my knowledge.  On the other hand, he
didn't ask me that question.  I guess it's assumed we should know that.

I didn't want a flame-war, but, really, if you want to argue about
something, perhaps it shouldn't be on something as semantically ambiguous
as this.

Ken Howe

On Fri, 22 Dec