SYBR Green

workshop at workshop at
Sat Dec 23 14:08:20 EST 1995

>   Dr Patrick HJ Falckh <p.falckh at> writes:
>  In article <4ad9fc$km2 at>,
>  100414.220 at (Stefan Kley) says:
>  >
>  >Hi there,
>  >
>  >I have a problem with ethidium bromide. I ran a PAGE today to check
>  >the integrity of a few cDNA probes that I'm about to use in Northern
>  >Hybridisations. In order to visualize the DNA with UV light, I put the
>  >gel into an ethidium bromide bath for 45 minutes after the run.
>  >However, under UV light, the gel appeared empty, lacking a signal even
>  >from the slot where I loaded the DNA standard.
>  I also add EtBr into the gel (agarose) but not into the buffer.  The
>  advantage of this is that the amount of EtBr you use, and then liable to
>  spill, is limited.  The EtBr moves in the opposite direction to your
>  cDNA and thereby decreases background.  Using agarose is also much
>  safer.
>  Regards
>  Patrick Falckh
Use SYBR Green. It is much better, safer, and does not give the background problems commonly associated with ethidium bromide.
 We are now using it in all of our biotechnology training programs worldwide.  Please send us an e-mail message
(workshop at if you are interested.

Workshop Coordinator
Exon-Intron, Inc.
9151 Rumsey Road, Suite 130