Autofluorescence of endothelial cells

T.Vink at T.Vink at
Tue Dec 12 11:23:56 EST 1995

From: Tom Vink <T.Vink at>
Subject: Autofluorescence of endothelial cells
Date: 12 Dec 1995 16:23:56 -0000

Dear Netters,

Lately we have a serious problem with high background
autofluorescence of our endothelial cells.
We did not have had this problem before and have not
changed our culture medium or conditions.
Some details: either primary human umbilical vein
endothelial cells or a human papilloma virus transformed
umbilical vein endothelial cell line.
Medium: RPMI 1640 (Gibco); 20 % heat inactivated human
serum, pen/strep and fumgizone.
Autofluoressence is observed without adding any fluorescent
antibody and cannot be quenched by incubating the cells
with 1 mg/ml NaBH4.
Any suggestions about possible causes, solutions and remedies are
very welcome.

Thanks, Tom Vink
Department of Haematology
University Hospital Utrecht