35S or 33P?

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Dec 26 15:44:44 EST 1995

Peter Fear (fearp at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu) wrote:

: A researcher here showed us a document from Perkin Elmer which states
: "There have been reported occurances of alpha-35S label escaping from
: various types of reaction tubes and contaminating thermal cycler blocks.
: We strongly recommend the use of [alpha-33P]-dNTP for cycle sequencing."
: Our question is not if there is any 35S given off but rather what is the
: level and if this is really a problem if done in a hood?

If you decide you really want to use 35-S instead of 33-P, you could take
measures to reduce the seepage, such as using a 3MM paper sheet moistened
with 2% lead acetate in combination with a 1-cm Perplex cover for containment.

@article{Hengen1994Maytibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Use of {${}^{33}{\mbox{P}}$}:
a safer way to sequence?",
volume = "19",
number = "5",
pages = "227-229",
month = "may",
year = "1994"}

@article{Clinton1995,
author = "M. Clinton
     and R. K. Scougall",
title = "Detection and capture of {\scriptsize {35}}-{S} labeled
gas released from reaction tubes during differential display {PCR}",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "19",
pages = "798-799",
month = "nov",