Help with PCR

avirup bose abose at unlinfo.unl.edu
Wed Dec 27 18:09:17 EST 1995

Hi Folks,
I am planning to detect whether a recombinant vaccinia virus enters an
animal cell. Assuming that the virus is unable to replicate, the
amount of viral DNA that will be inside the cell is beyond the limit
of detection of Southern Blot. So I am planning to do a PCR with the
isolated DNA to amplify the viral gene of interest and then do a
southern blot to confirm it's identity. Now my question: Does anybody
know of a protocol where you can do a PCR by directly picking up a few
cells and using it as the template? I know we can do it with E.Coli
but I am not sure whether anyone has done that with animal cells. I
would appreciate it very much if someone can help me with this. Thanks
in advance. My e-mail address is abose at unlinfo.unl.edu