Warning: Genescan (from Perkin-Elmer/ABI)

Eric C. Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Wed Dec 27 16:04:59 EST 1995

In article <4aslhc$gec at night.primate.wisc.edu>, jon
<boyson at primate.wisc.edu> wrote:

> >> What I'd like to know is, is PE always so incompetent or
> >> am I being discriminated against because I'm here in Singapore?
> >> I know for a fact they tried to make me pay 4x as much for my DNA
> >> standards. It was only when I found out the exact price people pay in
US for the same items, that I finally got a decent price!

> Relax--
> PE/ABI is every bit as incompetent here as they are there... actually
let's be fair and make that unhelpful. We've routinely gotten =
> the runaround from this company when we have questions about our ABI 373
sequencer. They seem much more interested in covering their=
>  butts than helping their customers.

the trick that i found worked very well in dealing with PE/ABI was to
develop a good working relationship with any one of the field tech
people.  when something wasn't going right with our machine, reagents,
etc., we always called the same (hardware service tech) individual and if
he couldn't do anything about it, he always took the time to send it to
the person who could do something about it.  i admit that this was
probably just an extraordinary individual, but it's the same thing as
complaining to a local rep about a product problem instead of calling
Customer "Service."  the rep's salary and butt are on the line with every
unsatisfied customer and most will do anything reasonable to fix the
problem.

this is just my experience and 2 cents.

eric