FIDELITY DNA Sequencing System

Steve Slater scslat at ccmail.monsanto.com
Fri Dec 29 01:36:49 EST 1995

Francis Yap <fryap at singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>I have been told that this new kit from ONCOR uses some novel enzyme to
>sequence 'difficult' template. Has anyone out there tried this out and
>gotten reasonable results? Would hate to fork out good money for a dud
>kit.

I have been using this kit lately to sequence relatively high GC
templates, and have been happy with it.  It has not eliminated all of
the problem regions, but it did clear up some.  In addition, it seems to
give consistently long reads (around 500 bp clearly), so I have
continued using it.
	The polymerase isn't novel, it's T4 polymerase, but as far as I know
it's novel as a sequencing kit.  One of the reasons for the long reads
is the fact that the polymerase is so processive once it is assembled
with the various accessory proteins.  The mix also contains ssb.
	My basic feeling:  The kit works well.  It may not be the answer to all
you problems, but it is at least adequate.  For my current purposes, it
seems better than sequenase, but I can't say if that statement would
apply across the board.  One drawback - the reaction procedure is longer
than that used with sequenase.

Steve