Inhibiting protein synthesis

Kathy Wilhelm wilhelmk at studentw.msu.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:14:00 EST 1995

> I was wondering why most plant DNA extraction protocols exclude the use of
> phenol - ie so far, most of the methods I've used jump right into choloroform-
> isoamyl alcohol extraction after the leaf tissue is ground in CTAB buffer. Is
> phenol too harsh a reagent that it could lower the yield of hi-mwt DNA?
>
> I am a little worried about the possibility of DNAse activity going unchecked
> when I use a regular, phenol-free extraction protocol for Arabidopsis leaf
> tissue. Using phenol might save me the grief. What do you think?
>
> Mike Santos
> Crop and Soil Sci
> University of Georgia

While I can't address the reason for phenol's omission from the protocol,
I can say that I have successfully used the DNA extraction protocol from the
Plant Molecular Biology Manual, which doesn't use phenol, for Arabidopsis
& the bands on my Southerns are quite crisp.
I hope this helps relieve your concern, if nothing else.
Kathy Wilhelm
grad stude