DNA purification: Quiagen, glassmilk etc

Martin Leach leach at bu.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:25:42 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.07.9502020955.B6918-a100000 at wagsun>,
marchaa at agric.nsw.gov.au (A.Marchant) wrote:

> A couple of questions about DNA purification:
>
> 1)  What's the best (ie, best ratio of
> (yield,quality):(effort,expense,difficulty)) way of purifying DNA
> from a complex dirty mixture?  What is the difference between 'glassmilk' and
> 'silica gel'?  Is Quiagen really as good as their advertising says?  Do
> Quiagen sell their resin separately from their prepared tips, so that I
> can make up my own format with it?
>
> 2)  What is the chemistry of the binding/release of DNA from Quiagen resin
> and from silica?
>
> 3)  How clean does your homogenate have to be before you can use this
> stuff?  Is cation concentration the only important thing involved in the
> specific binding and release?

I have not an email address of qiagen...however, their is a company called
the Nest Group...that sells a rival resin
column...nestgrp at world.std.com...they may be able to answer some of the
chemistry questions....

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)
My home page: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html