Does Schleicher & Schuell BA-S 85 go off????

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Thu Feb 2 09:49:09 EST 1995

In article <950201132834.22488f at thorin.uthscsa.edu>,
HARDIES at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU wrote:

> jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (John Dixon) asked if S&S nitrocellulose goes
> off and how you can tell if it has.
>
> We see it go off if the role has been opened and kept around a year or
> so.  You can tell if you wet it in water before the transfer buffer.  If
> it doesn't wet immediately and uniformly, it's no good.  Typically, the
> outer layer of the role and the edges go first and the rest can be salvaged.
> So it's obviously exposure to something in the air.  Humidity sounds as
> good as any.  I think the problem did get worse when I moved to a more
> humid environment, but I can't swear to it.
> I assume this would affect nitrocellulose from other vendors
> as well, but not nylon based filters.  Do any manufacturers of NC pretreat
> their membrane so it stores better?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Hardies, Assoc. Prof. of Biochem., Univ. of Texas HSC at San Antonio
> Hardies at uthscsa.edu

I believe that I have had the same problem with old S&S nytran filters, so
I'm not sure that it doesn't apply to nylon.  You are right though about
the wetting.  If it doesn't wet evenly as you lay it into the water, the
membrane doesn't seem to give even transfers.

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
"The speed of a computer is inversly proportional to the legnth of time it has been on your desk."  Michael Yablonski, circa 1989