RNAses

Aaron Pawlyk aaron at netnews.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 3 15:10:35 EST 1995

Tracy Aquilla (aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu) wrote:
: In Article <pootanak-270195173258 at bi16.bc.edu>, pootanak at hermws.bc.edu
: (Kusol Pootanakit) wrote:
: >Hi,
: >
: >Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there know if after one cross-linked
: >RNA on to nylon membrane; can the RNases still get to them.
: >
: >thanks

: Yes.
:     Tracy

Yeah, if you expose the blot to a solution of RNAse you will loose a lot
of signal, but blots are much more resistant to RNAse contamination
floating around in a lab.  I've never had any problems with RNAse
contamination on a blot while I have had problems in RNA solutions.
Adding RNAse to a hybridization mix will have more of an effect on the
RNA and I also feel that the RNAse molecules will interfere with hybridization
themselves.

			-- Aaron