reference manager?

Bob Belas belas at mbimail.umd.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:40:13 EST 1995

In article <Stephen_Lasky-0202951003400001 at cis-ts3-slip5.cis.brown.edu> Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu (Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.) writes:
>From: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu (Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.)
>Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
>Subject: Re: reference manager?
>Date: 2 Feb 1995 15:02:25 GMT

>In article <3goj7f$1c7c at bigblue.oit.unc.edu>, guest at halley.sph.unc.edu wrote:

>> I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate post, but I imagine that some of
>you must
>> have some experience with reference managers that are specifically formatted
>> for scientific journals.  I'm looking for the best software package to manage
>> references, create bibliographies with different formats (depending on the
>> journal I'm submitting to), accept downloaded info from current content
>> searches, etc. We use IBMs in the lab, so the program has to be
>compatible with
>> DOS and Window. I've heard of EndNote, ProCite and Papyrus(?). Do any of you
>> use these? What do you think about them?
>> Thanks for your help. Camella
>> You can email me directly at cbailey at uncvx1.oit.unc.edu

>I used to use Reference Manager but have switched to Endnote Plus (Both on
>a mac).  I think that Endnote is better than RefMan, but there is a
>problem, on Mac's anyway, in that it doesn't work with Word6 and probably
>won't for a while.  Don't know if this is true on the IBM versions.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.
>Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University
>Phone: 401-456-6572       Fax: 401-456-6569       e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>"The speed of a computer is inversly proportional to the legnth of time it has been on your desk."  Michael Yablonski, circa 1989

Yep, it's true for the DOS version of Endnote Plus V2.0 as well. To format a
WFW6 doc, you convert it to RTF format, use Endnote to format the citations,
then translate it back to WFW6 format.   I think Endnote is a great product
for Macs; it interfaces nicely with a wordprocessor and makes it easy to add
references to manuscripts.  However, Endnote is awful with Windows and WFW6.
You have to open up a DOS window and slip back and forth from Windows to DOS.
(It not a pretty site, even with a 486-66 and 16 MB RAM.)  What's more, don't
try formatting a manuscript with too many citations (I forgot, but 250 seems
to be the upper limit).  If your doc has lots of citations, Endnote burps and
refuses to process it.  There is a cure: format citations only, then go to
export and use the export cited references only option.  Join the two
independent files with your wordprocessor (ugh).   I keep waiting and hoping
that Niles And Associates develops the long waited Windows version, but these
guys aren't going to win any races.  I guess they feel satisfied that they
don't have to rush.  Maybe that biz needs some new competitors.

"Now imagine a Moebius vortex inside a spherical constant, and you've
got my cosmology."  Frank Zappa, 1940-1993.  (Belas at mbimail.umd.edu)