Stripping membranes (advice needed!)

Heidi Moss hmmoss at MAIL.MED.CORNELL.EDU
Sat Feb 4 21:16:44 EST 1995

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: How crucial is it for
membranes to be "non-dry" for stripping?? I want to reprobe (I've been
using chemiluminescence) but my membranes are somewhat dry and I'm
worried about wasting an experiment. I don't really understand what
"drying" does to make the hybridized DNA more permanent. Why wouldn't a 90
degree wash with SSC and Tween 20 work on both wet and dry membranes?
Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated.
-- Heidi