PCR problems of probes

hodges bradley l segdoh at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 6 15:24:37 EST 1995

I have tried to use PCR probes for screening libraries and have had no
success.  You said that your copied PCR products span a wider range of
molecular weights than your control.  This indicates that you may be
getting a lot of nonspecific amplification.  Shouldn't you get one
distinct band after PCRing an isolated fragment?  If not, you may need to
go over your protocols.  May I suggest using a random priming kit.  We
now use Stratagenes Prime-It Rmt.  If you feel PCR is your best
alternative, write me back and I will help you with your protocol.