3' UTR as probes

Michael Gerdes mg690769 at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Feb 7 14:59:54 EST 1995

In article <9502031535.AA15279 at phinet.smithkline.com> pattonaj%phvax.dnet at sb.com writes:

>Does anyone have any experience or impressions of using regions to the 3' UTR
>as probes for Northerns and/or in situs. It's been suggested to me to use this
>region to design probes to distinguish between members of a family of proteins.
>What do you think? I've not seen anyone in the literature using probes to this
>region so the alarm bells are ringing.
>Any comments welcome.
>
>Thanks
>
>Amanda

These probes should work, as I have successfully used about a dozen or so
that were isolated with differential display PCR.  Keep in mind that these
regions are not well conserved between species typically, and can contain
repetative like elements- so it would help if you have sequenced through
the region that you plan to use and run it through a sequence search.

Michael
mg690769 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
.