best polyA+ from total RNA method??

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Mon Feb 6 11:15:57 EST 1995

In article <1995Feb1.174632.8825 at mbcf>, neale at mbcf.stjude.org wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had a strong recommendation of method for
> purification of poly A+ RNA from total RNA. The samples of total RNA that we
> have are about 300 ug each. We could pool some if necessary.
>
> We could purify poly A+ directly from cells if that is thought superior to
> purifying from total RNA. It's just that we already have the total RNA, and
> know that our gene of interest is expressed in these samples.

i have used the Invitrogen Poly-A Tract kit for isolation of poly-A+ RNA
from both total RNA and directly from cells with similarly good results
(quality, yield, etc.) and similar amounts of work.  they are an oligo-dT
cellulose column but it's a spin column and is very quick and relatively
painless.

one other interesting note is that the first time i used the kit, it was a
rather old kit, past it's expiration date and it worked just as well as the
one that i ordered after using up that kit.  don't know if that matters to
you, but i thought that it was kind of nice.

good luck,

eric

--
*these are your important years     *
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)862-2435 (home)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)362-7058 (FAX)
st. louis, mo 63110