DNA elution from gels

G G
Tue Feb 7 12:00:08 EST 1995

In article <26JAN95.16930229.0139.MUSIC at SEMOVM>, C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU (Walt Lilly) says:

>We're trying to elute individual bands from gels of PCR products for use
>in sequencing.  We've been using electroelution, but wonder what is the
>fastest and/or most reliable way to get DNA out of a gel band for this
>purpose?
We use Costar Spin X collumns
It is very simple, the process is called 'freeze squeezing'
Freeze your gel slice (agarose or acrylamide) for 20 mins
then put it into a collumn and spin in a microcentrifuge for 10 mins
The liquid which collects in the bottom of the tube contains DNA, which
is PCRable. It may not work with silver stain but works fine with EtBr.
Gareth