Ethanol Precipitating of Genomic DNA

Martin Leach leach at bu.edu
Wed Feb 8 10:09:29 EST 1995

In article <3hajva$j7n at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>, mrhodes at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
(Dr. M. Rhodes) wrote:

> I am preparing genomic mouse DNA , (which I want to keep large)
> It all goes well until I do the final ethanol ppt
> at this point when I spin it I dont get a nice pellet
> but a globby mass and its almost imposibble to take of the
> ethanol
> so my questios are
> a)What g force would others spin there DNA at to pellet it
> b)any other solutions to this problem

I spin any genomic prep at 13000 RPM in a small labtop centrifuge..(sorry
dont know the xg off the top of my head)

Is the ethanol 100% ?

Worst case would be to completely dry off the ethanol...although you would
get a lot of extra salt in the final pellet....however....you could do
this several times...using 70% ethanol in subsequent washes to get rid of
the salt...

just my twopenny ha'penny

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)
My home page: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html