biotech steaks without killing or harming animals? Re:...cell cultures

M. Price mprc at
Thu Feb 9 15:42:08 EST 1995

In <amatos-0802951602000001 at> amatos at (Stephen Amato) writes:

>In article <3h8l6g$pib at engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>, silber at orfeo.Eng.Sun.COM
>(Eric Silber) wrote:

>> In article <93783.ashendel at> <ashendel at>
>> >On 4 Feb 95 18:05:35 GMT,
>> >Robert Kuhelj  <robert.kuhelj at> wrote:
>>  ...  [text deleted:  interchange re: small scale cell culture for
>research ]...
>>  forgive this outsider's intrusion into a very specific group
>>  ( bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts ), but it is the closest thing I can find
>>  to the appropriate place to post this question:
>>  Is there any current research and/or biotech development which would
>>  make it possible to produce large quantities of cultured muscle-fibers ?
>>  The point of the question is whether now or in the near future
>>  biotech will make it possible to 'grow chicken breasts' (so to speak)
>>  so that some form of meat-like products can be marketed which are
>>  NOT derived from the abuse and/or killing of animals?
>>  If this is technically possible, and industrially feasible,
>>  it would seem that it could have major implications.

>First of all, I am curious why you are asking?  But, anyway, there are
>companies attempting to do this (that is, culture muscle cells and fibers)
>for the purpose of muscle replacement therapy in humans.  The question is,
>do we know enough about the differences between cows or chickens or human
>muscle structure, anatomy and physiology to be able to selectively make
>muscle fibers from one species.  For example, could you imagine eating a
>steak that you knew was based on the structure of human muscle fibers?

   Why would that be any weirder than a vegetarian eating a steak based
on the structure of animal muscle fibers?
"A woman is not a basket you place your buns in to keep them warm, not a
brood hen you can slip duck eggs under, not a purse, holding the coins
of your descendants till you spend them in wars." (Marge Piercy)