Source of restriction enzyme CviJI

sdanko at genencor.com sdanko at genencor.com
Wed Feb 8 14:09:36 EST 1995

>   kimmerly at haida.lbl.gov (Bill Kimmerly) writes:
>  At the DOE Human Genome Contractor's Meeting in Santa fe this
>  past November I heard a talk discussing the use of an enzyme called
>  CviJI in creating "random" blunt-end fragments from a large target.
>  The enzyme's specificity was RC/GY > RC/GR > YC/GY.  Yes, I know
>  it is not truly random, nevertheless I am interested in exploring its
>  utilty in library construction.  Does anyone know of a commercial source
>  of this enzyme?  Any first-hand experience, recommendations, do's & don't's
>  are, of course also welcome.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Bill Kimmerly
>  Staff Scientist
>  Human Genome Center
>  Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
>  kimmerly at genome.lbl.gov

CviJ1 is a restriction enzyme isolated originally from Chlorella-like green
algae infected with the virus IL-3A.  (The enzyme is encoded by the
viral DNA;  Cvi stands for Chlorella virus).

Here's a reference:
Xia, Burbank, Uher, Rabussay, and Van Etten.  1987.  IL-3A virus
infection of a Chlorella-like green algo induces a DNA restriction
endonuclease with novel sequence specificity.  Nucleic Acids Research
15:  6075-6090.

Try contacting:
James L. Van Etten
Dept. Plant Pathology