EcoR 1* (star activity)

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 10 08:30:35 EST 1995

In article <leach-0702951545590001 at med-pharm16.bu.edu>,
Martin Leach <leach at bu.edu> wrote:
>In article <1995Feb7.151943.1 at leif>, dheeley at kean.ucs.mun.ca wrote:
>> We are interested in using the altered specificity of EcoR 1 (ie star
>> activity). What is a good method ? What are the potential pitfalls ?
>
>I remember using the star activity in high salt conditions a few years

	LOW salt, for EcoRI*...

	There's an extensive literature on Star activity. Many six-hitters
	exhibit reduced specificity under suboptimal digest conditions.
	Check the catalogs: some enzyme manufacturers go to great lengths
	explaining how Star activity can arise (e.g., wrong salt conc'n,
	too much glycerol, switched divalent cation, etc.). I suspect the
	reason is that they don't want to hear their customers complaining
	about their own ineptitude: "An educated consumer is our best
	customer."

Mark
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: garfinkl at iitmax.acc.iit.edu)
My views are my own, which is why they're copyright 1995 (c)