EcoR 1* (star activity)

"Alexander Kraev" bckraev at bckraev at wawona
Thu Feb 9 10:02:37 EST 1995

In article <1995Feb7.151943.1 at leif>, dheeley at writes:
>We are interested in using the altered specificity of EcoR 1 (ie star
>activity). What is a good method ? What are the potential pitfalls ?

EcoRI star activity cleaves potential sites with very different efficiencies,
and you may have trouble cleaving at a specific place. Newer enzymes with
EcoRI-compatible overhangs, like ApoI and Tsp509I from NEB cleave more
evenly in a partial digestion. You may as well try those instead of EcoRI*.
Hope this helps,

Alexander Kraev, Ph.D.                 Internet: bckraev at
Lab. of Biochemistry III               Phone: 0041-1-632-31-47
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology  FAX:   0041-1-632-12-13
CH-8092 Zurich
"Some ideas are obscure not because they are complex, but because they
 are excluded from our circle of comprehension" - Kozma Prutkov