isoamyl alcohol

Martin D. Leach leach at bu.edu
Mon Feb 13 19:12:16 EST 1995

In article <3hol30$gla at news.ycc.yale.edu>, burbly at minerva.cis.yale.edu
(Marc A. Borbely) wrote:

> i have looked everywhere but can't find an answer:
> why in the world is isoamyl alcohol used together with phenol and
> chloroform for extraction of nucleic acids?
> I've asked this on sci.bio and the only response i've gotten so far was
> that it keeps down foaming. Other people have suggested that it serves to
> "catch"  proteins that are too hydrophilic for the organic compounds and
> too hydrophobic for the aqueous layer.

hmmm I remember reading about foaming elsewhere also..sorry no refs.

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
                                             head.....WIBBLE"
My homepage: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
Biotech company listing: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/biolcomm.html

p.s. try BioMOO  -virtual biology on the internet..
telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888